This beautiful little house has a sweeping front porch under massive shady oak trees. It was designed and built by master builder Abner Cook, the man responsible for the Governor's Mansion. The original house, built in the Greek Revival style, was the home of a prominent doctor, William Phillips. Eugene Bremond may have lived here as early as 1866, the year he purchased the northern half of the block. The one-story house was later expanded with a rear addition in 1872 in an Italianate style.
The house was the home of Eugene Bremond and his wife Mary Amelia Robinson. Unfortunately, Mary died in that year -- the same year that the house was expanded. Eugene remarried in 1874 and moved his family to a new home, then sold this house to his older brother Jonh Bremond, Jr. in 1906.
Soon after John acquired the property, the house was leased out to a young man named Hale Houston. Hale in turn fell in love with and married John's daughter, Hallie, and so the house continued to be occupied by a Bremond for the next half century.
706 Guadalupe St., Austin, TX 78701